Post by chriscrawford on Jul 22, 2015 6:17:11 GMT -8
I am currently working on the transition from the text-only interface that was built into the old Storytron technology to the new icon-based interface. I actually built the entire icon-based interface about a year ago, but it didn't preserve the crucial LogLizard technology. The problem here is that the original Storytron technology was built as a client-server system, and therefore had many complexities necessary to make such a complex system operational. Those complexities are now making it extremely difficult to integrate the new icon-based technology into the old code. Adding to the problem is the fact that the original technology was built around Java Swing, which is great for resizable windows, but a great pain to work with, and it makes some features very difficult to implement. So currently I am studying the code, making tiny changes here and there to clean it up, trying to find ways to make it all work. So far, it looks bad.
I'm sure it's painful to contemplate, but if the old client-server architecture doesn't make sense any longer, are you better off starting from scratch with the right tech approach? Could save time in the long run.
I know, I know, many a programmer has lost their way in unnecessary re-factoring.
But it really sounds like you have the worst of all possible worlds here - an old, hard-to-work-with architecture, lost tech and code and the need to implement a significant change in functionality and presentation that puts maximum stress on those pain points.
Post by Chris Conley on Jul 23, 2015 15:34:02 GMT -8
That is the plan, yes. The problem is that system was coded by a contractor roughly a decade ago, and Chris is having trouble splitting it all apart. If you know someone well-versed in Java, we'd appreciate your sharing this message:
Post by chriscrawford on Jul 24, 2015 7:48:04 GMT -8
StuartM, that was the approach I took a year ago; I simply tossed the old front end and built a new one. But in the process I somehow killed LogLizard, and after much thrashing around I realized that LogLizard is closely tied to the old front end. I am now thrashing around again with the code, trying to separate them, but I'm too poor a Java programmer to figure it out. I confess, having been brought up on assembly language, it's really hard for me to get into the flow of modern event-driven languages like Java. I still think in terms of program flow. Hell, I think I'd be more comfortable with a rotary-dial cellphone...